Saturday, July 28, 2012

Happy Slough Day!!

Yesterday I check on Ramón and got a wonderful surprise! We have been eagerly awaiting his first shed for the last two weeks. He hadn't fed since the 12th (snakes go off food when preparing to shed), so I was beginning to get a little worried. Thankfully, my worries were for nothing.

5 days prior to shed
Snakes shed their skin for various reasons, but mainly for physical growth. A few days before shed, their scales appear pale and dusty, and their eyes become cloudy (outer skin separating from the new skin). Some snakes will appear to return back to normal (caused by oils needed to lubricate skin during shed). They will also become somewhat moodier than normal (i.e., more defensive, because they can't see very well).

Very cloudy eyes and dull scales, 3 days prior to shed
They're usually still okay to handle so long as you're particularly gentle and don't keep them out too long. I bathed Ramón by handling him in a large container of warm water and soaking him for about 15 minutes to help loosen the skin. I also covered half of the front grill to help the humidity remain consistently around 75%.

Testing the water.

I was kind of apprehensive about being so "involved" with the process but I must have done something right, as he shed in one complete piece!

Hooray!

After we discovered he'd shed, we immediately warmed up a rat for him. It took a little coaxing but he eventually downed it.

Fatty.

I'm now much happier knowing my boy is shed, fed and all shiny new!

Except, you know, when he gets cranky after eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment